The Berlin Premoot 2013
The Berlin Premoot 2013 will be held from 1 to 3 March at the Faculty of Law of the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Unter den Linden 9, 10117 Berlin, and surrounding law firms, among them Hengeler Mueller, Lindenpartners, Noerr LLP and Weitnauer.
We expect 21 universities from eight different countries. We are especially pleased that the Federal Ministry of Justice, the German Institution of Arbitration (DIS) and the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law(UNCITRAL) will also support the event.
The Berlin Premoot will start on Friday, 1 March, at 10 a.m. with an opening event at the history-charged Staatsratsgebäude, Schloßplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, that since 2006 accommodates the ESMT European School of Management and Technology. The Premoot will end on Sunday, 3 March, at about 4 p.m. You find a detailed preliminary schedule below under "Documents".
The following 21 teams will participate in the Berlin Premoot 2013:
- Amsterdam (NL), Universiteit van Amsterdam
- Basel (CH), Universität Basel
- Berlin (D), Freie Universität Berlin
- Berlin (D), Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
- Brno (CZ), Masarykova Universzita
- Edinburgh (GB), University of Edinburgh
- Frankfurt (D),Goethe-Universität Frankfurt
- Freiburg (D), Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
- Hanover (D), Leibniz Universität Hannover
- Heidelberg (D), Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
- Katowice (PL), Uniwersytet Śląski w Katowicach
- Krakow (PL), Uniwersytet Jagielloński
- Ljubljana (SLO), Univerza v Ljubljani
- Lucerne (CH), Universität Luzern
- Mannheim (D), Universität Mannheim
- Maribor (SLO), Univerza v Mariboru
- Munich (D), Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
- Nijmegen (NL), Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen
- Stockholm (S), Stockholms Universitet
- Warsaw (PL), Uniwersytet Warszawski
- Wellington (NZ), Victoria University of Wellington
For an event of this size we also need a large number of qualified arbitrators, who hear the arguments of the teams and give them feedback that will be helpful for the preparation for the Willem C. Vis Moot competitions in Hong Kong and Vienna. If you would like to support the Premoot as an arbitrator, please fill in the Arbitrator Registration Form and send it to us, preferably until 18 February 2013. You find the registration form as well as some relevant material below under "Documents".
You will find the organisation office ("Dachgeschoss") at the Premoot at the Faculty of Law, Unter den Linden 9, 10117 Berlin, in room E25. We kindly ask you to register here not later than about 15 min before your first hearing.
Furthermore, as an arbitrator you are cordially invited to participate in the entire programme of the Premoot without any charges.
- Arbitrator Registration Form
- Schedule (dated: 20.02.2013)
- Pleading Schedule - Teams
- Pleading Schedule - Arbitrators (dated: 28.02.2013)
- Location Plan - Builings
- Location Plan - Room Plan Faculty
- Case material:
- Problem 20, corrected with clarifications
The actual case material containing essentially the correspondence between the parties prior to the hearings.
The official case analysis. It contains a summary of the case and a rough outline of the arguments.
- Summary and Analysis 20th Willem C. Vis Moot
A short summary of the case and different possibilities to argue, which was written by one of our students and serves to give a quick overview.
- Arbitrator Guideline
A short description of the course of the hearings to give guidance to "newcomers" at the Moot.
- Legal texts:
The CISG governs the substantive issues.
- Unidroit Principles
They have a gap-filling function. The parties might refer to them at some point.
- CEAC Rules 2012
They are main procedural rules.
- UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules
They can be referred to in a complementary manner. As for the case at hand, however, they are of minor importance.
- UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration
It reflects the national law of the participating states, but is of subordinate relevance for the oral hearings.
- IBA Rules on the Taking of Evidence in International Arbitration
They can complement the CEAC-Rules. At the hearings, the parties will certainly refer to them.
- New York Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards
Often they are only marginally referred to at the hearings.
For further information and updates, as well as pictures of the event, you can also find us on facebook: www.facebook.com/hma.berlin.
If you have any questions, you can contact Tobias Strecker who is responsible for the organisation of the Berlin Premoot.